In 1871 miller's son William Frisbie moved to Bridgeport, Connecticut (USA) to open a bakery there, the Frisbie Pie Company. His bakery was a success and in a short time, he had several branches across the state. Soon, students from Yale in touch with its delicious cakes and from early in the twentieth century they threw in their free time on campus with the lids of the pie tin.
Through exchanges within the Ivy league did toss these cover-trend to other colleges. Late 40s threw at Harvard in the breaks often dozens of students simultaneously with those tin lids. When a lid was thrown one warned the catcher with the word "frisbie", the name that was on top of the covers, so they called this pastime frisbie-ing.
When Richard Knerr Wham-O on one of his business trips Harvard donned he saw there played frisbie-ing. The popularity pleased him very much, as the term frisbie. Wham-O adopted the name, but corrupted them phonetically to frisbee. In 1964 improved engineer Ed Headrick the Frisbee for Wham-O. With small rings on top of the drive, the "lines of Headrick," the disc was something aerodymischer and with the same frisbee we still throw.
Frisbee derived variants are the other Dogobie Disc, specially designed for dogs, and the Aerobie ring. An open Quoit currently record holder is the farthest throw ever!